This soup stands tall and elegant dressed in the the vibrant flavor of rosemary with the support of deep mushroom flavors.
- 2 cups strong-flavored mushrooms e.g. oyster mushrooms
- 1 small onion
- several tablespoons olive oil
- 1 litre water
- 1 cube or 1 tablespoon vegetable stock (or to taste)
- 2 medium-sized yukon potatoes, chopped to size of your taste (I prefer them medium-small)
- 1 carrot, chopped small
- several sprigs fresh rosemary (1-2 tablespoons dried)
- 1 can chickpeas
- Optional: Sherry- to taste
- Fry onions and mushrooms on med-high heat in olive oil for about five minutes, until they wilt.
- Add water and turn heat up to high
- When water is boiling add soup stock, potatoes, carrot, chickpeas and rosemary
- Turn heat down to medium and simmer soup until carrots and potatoes are soft
- Remove Rosemary sprigs (some needles may fall off sprig in soup, that's ok)
- Add salt, pepper and sherry (if desired) to taste
Serve alone or with fresh rustic bread such as sourdough.