Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Betty Stratford's Lemon Loaf

When I got married my Mum's friends through me a shower where they all gave me one of their favorite recipes, this one was much coveted when they found out Mrs. Stratford gave it to me, I guess it was a secret....but I am not one for not sharing good recipes, so enjoy!

Ingredients:

1/2 C butter
1 C White Sugar
Grated lemon rind
1 1/2 C sifted flour
1t baking powder
2 eggs
1/2 C milk

Glaze

Juice from one lemon
1/2 C White Sugar


Method:

Set oven at 350, grease and flour a loaf pan (9x5x3)

Cream butter with sugar, beat in eggs one at a time and then add milk.

Sift and fold into the mixture flour and baking powder, add lemon rind.

Pour evenly into loaf pad and bake for 45 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.

Place loaf onto cooling rack (over a plate) and spoon glaze evenly over the top. Mrs. Stratford said she poked holes in the top with a fork first to let the glaze in, but I have never been able to do this without breaking the crust.

Slice when completely cool.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...