For those of you commonly scared away by unusual ingredients (such as peanut butter in soup) give this a try- the flavors meld together beautifully offering a very warm "comforting" meal! And remember, as a soup- it is very forgiving recipe and quite open to ingredient substitutions- exclude and substitute as your cupboards allow.
- 1 onion
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers (mixed, red & green)
- 1 can tomato soup + 4 cans water
- 1-2 cups mashed yam (baked and mashed is especially flavourful)
- 1 shredded carrot
- 1 large diced potato
- 2 tbs shredded fresh ginger
- 4 cloves roast garlic (or 2 cloves fresh)
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- Dash of worstishire sauce
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- Fry onions in oil for five minutes on med-high, add the peppers and fry until soft.
- Add the tomato soup and water.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes (until potatoes are soft).
If you have time to give this soup a little extra time to meditate an hour or so after you've cooked it the flavors start singing in proper harmony- however, even fresh off the clothing rack this is still one comfy sweater!