To enter the contest I have to answer the following question:
How do you encourage a creative, artistic spirit in your baby, toddler or young child?
My first thought was "I don't know, and what if I am doing things that discourage it?", I have been so busy just trying to manage the basics of parenting I don't know if I have even thought about his artisitc spirit. So let me reflect on what I now to that probably falls into this category, and then maybe I can list some improvements.
- I take him to the library once a week to get books out-I mostly go with very little agenda and I let him wander around and explore while just following him
- Each night I read these books to him. When Andrew asked why, at 15 months, he needed books from the library in addition to all the ones we have at home (I had a book shower when he was born, so we do have a good collection), I stated that the "variety" was not for the listener of the stories
- Whenever I buy toys (which is rare) I choose musical instruments; he has a drum, a xylophone, and various types of shakers
- I sing to him often, usually as a distraction when I am trying to get him to hold still or let me put him in his car seat. He often hums and we make new funny noises together-I encourage him to dance to music
- We also listen to music in the car and I have taken him to story time at the library since he was about 3 months old