Friday, September 25, 2009

Profound Purpose

With the fall comes new routines and start ups of meetings again, with this I have started up with two bible studies which actaully both start on the same day. I like going to these because they force me to read my bible and think of such things besides just on Sunday. Recently for one of the groups we were asked to write a "Mission " statement for our life I though , simple, "To pursue God's purpsoe and desire for my life". With this satement I don't have to have everything figured out, I just have to be pursueing the answers. The problem with the statement is it requires me to "Do" something not simpley "be" something, it implies that I must have a task a reason for being which then asks the question "what". I have always thought along the lines that our purpose is to win more over to Christ, which we are instructed to do in the great commission, but to what? To have new converts called to the same mission? It seemed a bit like a pointless cycle. In one of our studies John Bevere was talking about being "used" how no one wants to be used by their friends. God doesn't want to use us, he doesn't need to and that is not the point. The purpose of being saved is so God can bring us to himself. God wants to know us intimateley and walk with us. This was partly concluded from Enoch who walked with God for 300 years (Genisis 5) and was taken from earth to be with God because he pleased God (Heb 11:5).

God created us to hang out with, the purpose of Adam in the Garden was companionship with God, they walked together.

All in all this lead me to realize I needed to change my Mission statement, it needs to read "To pursue an relation ship with God"

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...